The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts is the largest museum of European art in Moscow, Russia, and is located opposite the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. The Museum opened to the public in May 1912. When the Russian capital was moved to Moscow in 1918 the government transferred thousands of works from the Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg to the new capital. The entire collection of Western art from the Museum Roumjantsev was also added to the collection. More important Western art was added later from the State Museum of New Western Art and included works by Van Gogh, Gauguin, Picasso, Dufrenoy, and Matisse. Currently the Museum holds a collection paintings, graphics, sculpture, and pieces of applied arts from prominent artists of the nineteenth and tenth centuries.