The Morgan Library and Museum
The Morgan Library & Museum, formerly the Pierpont Morgan Library, is a museum and research library located at Madison Avenue and 36th Street in New York City, New York. The Library was founded in 1906 to house the private collection of financier, J.P. Morgan, which included manuscripts, printed books, ancient artifacts, prints, and drawings. In 1924, eleven years after Pierpont Morgan’s death, his son, J.P. Morgan Jr., transformed the library into a public institution. In 1966, the building, designed by architect Charles McKim, was declared a National Historic Landmark. The collection contains prints and drawings by artists such as Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, Rembrandt, Rubens, Gainsborough, Picasso, Cezanne, Van Gogh, and Ruskin among many others.